Jump to recipe
Start your day with this delicious bowl of goodness! It only requires a little bit of preparation the night before, and the result the next morning is a breakfast that will leave you full and energized, never bloated, and keep you powering through the morning. It’s the perfect combination of plant-powered protein, slow-release wholegrain carbohydrates, and essential fats that will make your tummy and brain cells sing!
Recipe courtesy of Anita Murphy
- 3 cups water
- 3 sticks cinnamon or 3 heaped tbsp cinnamon powder
- 3 star anise
- 5 cloves
- 2 tbsp vanilla essence or 2-4 pods
- 1 cup white quinoa
- ½ cup chia seeds
- ¾ cup bulgur
- 400ml coconut milk, or to taste
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup honey, or to taste
- ½ cup almond meal
- Plain yogurt
- 4 different fruits of choice e.g. pears, bananas, apples, berries, mango, dragon fruit (pitaya)
- 2 nuts of choice e.g. macadamias, pecans, almonds – all roughly diced
- Mint, for garnish
Making the porridge
- Bring water to boil in a pot and throw in cinnamon, star anise, cloves and vanilla essence. Boil for 5 minutes. Remember which “bumpy bits” you put in so you can fish out the same amount later.
- Enter quinoa, chia seeds and bulgur and keep boiling for 12-15 minutes (top up with a little more boiled water if needed and stir occasionally).
- Add coconut milk and sugar and stir until dissolved. More coconut milk may be added if you want a stronger coconut flavour.
- Stir in honey and almond meal and mix well, then fish out the “bumpy bits”.
Tip: This porridge can be prepared in advance – handy to have in the fridge and ready to layer when hunger hits!
Preparing the Bircher Muesli
- In a serving glass of your choice (e.g. martini, old jam jars), layer alternate colours starting with porridge mixed fruits, yogurt, nuts etc in any order you like but keep layers thin and pretty viewed from the outside.
- Top with mint, some cinnamon powder, and fresh fruits (dragonfruit, kiwi and berries look good)
© 2022 © Food Explorers