Jump to recipe
This Mongolian “Beef” is tender, saucy and perfectly savory. All of the flavor and you can feel good about eating a great plant-based meal!
~ Marji Simon-Meinefeld
Recipe courtesy of Marji Simon-Meinefeld
- 1kg seitan
- ¾ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1½ cups water
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp cornstarch OR 3 tbsp flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- Vegetable oil for sauteeing
- 12 large scallions, sliced on the bias
- Slice seitan into 2½ -cm pieces.
- Combine soy sauce, water, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, cornstarch and sugar in a bowl. Set aside.
- Over high heat, add vegetable oil to a large sauté pan or wok. Allow oil to heat up, about 2 minutes.
- Add seitan slices and sauté for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add soy mixture to seitan and allow to simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add in scallions, toss everything together and serve immediately over rice.
© 2023 © Food Explorers