The European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a law that was introduced to unify all EU member states’ approaches to data collection and storage. One of its purposes is to ensure all data protection laws are applied identically in every country within the EU.
The GDPR gives EU citizens and residents control over how their data can be collected, used and stored, hence protecting them from organizations using their data irresponsibly. Within the EU, individuals are the owners of their data, not the corporations (or websites) that collect the data. EU citizens and residents have the right to have their data removed, and the law also spells out tough penalties for violations of up to 4% of worldwide turnover or €20 million, whichever is higher.
The GDPR will apply in all EU member states from May 25, 2018. ‘Controllers’ and ‘processors’ of data need to abide by the GDPR. A data controller states how and why personal data is processed, while a processor is the party doing the actual processing of the data. So the controller could be any organization, from a profit-seeking company to a charity or government. A processor could be an IT firm doing the actual data processing. Even if controllers and processors are based outside the EU, the GDPR will still apply to them so long as they’re dealing with data belonging to EU residents.
Food Explorers’ commitment to privacy and data security
Food Explorers remains committed to protecting the privacy and data security of our members and subscribers.
We collect your data in order to:
- Send information, respond to enquiries, and/or other requests or questions
- Process bookings, applications and to send information and updates pertaining to bookings
- Market to our mailing list or continue to send emails to our members and subscribers to inform of upcoming events
To be in accordance with GDPR, we agree to the following:
- Not use false or misleading subjects or email addresses
- Identify the message as an advertisement in some reasonable way
- Include the physical address of our business
- Monitor third-party email marketing services for compliance, if one is used
- Honor opt-out/unsubscribe requests quickly
- Allow users to unsubscribe by using the link at the bottom of each email