Jump to recipe
Simple and delicious, this is perfect when you need a quick and nutritious breakfast or snack. In Australia, smashed avo on toast is a firm favorite for brunch.
Recipe courtesy of Anita Murphy
- Toast bread
- Butter (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Balsamic vinegar
- Tomato, sliced
- Baby spinach
- Crushed goat cheese
- Bacon (optional)
- Fresh basil
- Fresh garlic mayo
- Lemon (or lime) wedge, on side
- 3 pips garlic (pre-roast in oven if want a different flavour but raw is also ok)
- 2 egg yolks
- Lemon rind (or any citrus you like)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (or other citrus)
- Salt and pepper
- 100ml light olive oil
- 100ml vegetable oil
- Poach egg in a pan of boiling water for 2-3 minutes, until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain. If poaching many eggs at one go, use the oven – fill patty cake tins/muffin tins with water, break in eggs and cook till eggs are at hardness required.
- Toast bread.
- Place the avocado in a bowl and lightly mash with a fork so that it’s still chunky (hence smashed). If preparing a few hours ahead, add some lemon juice to stop browning.
- Spread toasted slices with the smashed avocado and plate along with sliced tomatoes and baby spinach.
- Top each slice with a poached egg and season with salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar. For a broader range of flavours, serve with goat cheese, bacon, fresh basil, a generous dollop of fresh garlic mayo and a lemon wedge on the side.
Freshly-made garlic mayo
- Chuck in wide blender cup, blitz for 30 seconds or until all oil is mixed. Done! Thick and spoon ready.
© 2023 © Food Explorers