Ras Malai is a Bengali specialty – it is a dumpling made out of fresh cottage cheese boiled in light sugar syrup, called “Rasgulla”, soaked in reduced milk flavoured with saffron and cardamom, and garnished with sliced almonds and pistachios.
This recipe shows us a simpler way of making this favourite sweet treat of many Indians.
Recipe courtesy of Kishori Khirwadkar
- Ready-to-eat “Rasgulla” in sugar syrup
- 1.5L whole milk
- Green cardamom, freshly crushed
- Peeled almonds and pistachios, sliced
- Pour milk into a pot and reduce to half the volume by boiling under constant stirring.
- Add saffron and green cardamom to the milk.
- Soak ready-made rasgullas in flavoured milk and garnish with almonds and pistachios.
- Refrigerate before serving.
© 2021 © Food Explorers